Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I must live under a rock

I must live under a rock, because often times there are things that I have never heard of that pretty much everyone has heard of. The most recent of these revelations is this man called Anthony Bourdain.

Until a few days ago, I had never heard of him.

It must be because I don't watch TV? I dunno. Maybe I just live under a rock.

Now I have access to one of his books Kitchen Confidential. I'm only a couple chapters in, and I'm hooked!! I'm going to get his other books as well, so I can read them over the Christmas holidays (I'll be at the in-laws, without much computer access, so I think having 3 or 4 books to read for the week will be a great idea).

So far, I love his writing style. Love it! Gives me that live-vicariously feeling - I've always wanted to be a chef but never was one. Spent too much time in the health care business, doing legitimate 9-to-5 work. Now I'm not a 9-to-5er but I was. Anyway, my point is, the cheffing business is something I've always fantasized about but never got to do. So here I get to read about my fantasy without having to endure the rough reality that it is. Perfect.

I love books. They allow you to do that. Live vicariously. Love it.

Plus, this book gets my mind off of wine for a few minutes. Which is good around this time of year - allows me to keep some semblance of sanity.

No comments: