Monday, December 17, 2007

Retail is Kicking my Ass though Champagne in Evening Helps


It should come as no surprise to me, but still, retail is kicking me in the butt during this holiday season. I'm having second thoughts about working 7 days a week. Perhaps that was not a good idea....

Fortunately, we have enjoyed some good Champagne in the evenings. Last night we had a bottle of the 2000 Agrapart Mineral Blanc de Blancs which I have written about previously, and it was fabulous with the DVD "La Vie en Rose" which was more like La Vie en Bleu as it was very sad! A great movie nonetheless, and made even greater by watching it in the dark sipping Champagne. Seriously!

The night before, we had some escargot baked in garlic butter, paired with 1996 Duval-Leroy Brut. Boy, this went down so easily, we were wondering where the rest of it was! Yeasty, apple-y, rich yet light-bodied, delicious. We had the 1996 Duval-Leroy Blanc de Blancs when we were in Champagne on our honeymoon, and we stayed in Vertus, where Duval-Leroy is located. We had it in a nice small hotel restaurant that we enjoyed so much, we had two dinners there in a row.
Both of these Champagnes are ones that I would drink again in an instant. We love vintage Champagnes. They are the best! And these two are so reasonably priced (compared to others) at less than $50 a pop.
I'm already thinking about the next one we will be having - a 1999 Gosset Brut from Ay, to be paired with some Paddlefish caviar on blinis. Yeah!

2 comments:

peter said...

Was the 96 Duval a BdB? I think you're referring to the vintage Brut - but if you can find the 96 Duval Bdb, you MUST try one.

I scooped some up on WineBid a ways back - wish I had bought the whole lot!

Nancy Deprez said...

The 96 Brut is what we had here in the USA. I believe we had the 96 BdB in Champagne. If you are saying you can get the 96 BdB here then I must look for it! Thanks for the tip.