Tuesday, December 16, 2008

2005 Bordeaux with Standing Rib Roast; 2005 Heger Pinot with Sunday dinner at Lucques

Just a quick post to say I enjoyed a couple of nice meals with nice wines last evening and the evening before.

Sunday was girls night out and one of the ladies suggested Sunday dinner at Lucques. So there we went. I saw my 2004 Kunstler Riesling by the glass there, as well as 2007 Pfeffingen Dry Riesling and 2005 Heger Pinot Noir. Fantastic! I was charged with ordering the wine so I went for the 2005 Heger Pinot Noir and everyone liked it! It went well for sipping before dinner and also went well with the 2 entree choices - lamb and a striped bass with a pomegranite sauce. Everyone was happy!

Monday night I made Sunday dinner with my husband and I - a small standing rib roast I bought from How's Market, a meat and grocery place that a coworker turned me on to - this was not a prime rib but a choice rib, but good enough! Seasoned it, popped it in the oven with an oven thermometer, and opened a $15 bottle of 2005 Chateau Semonlon Haut-Medoc that was at The Wine Country in Ronnie's section - he assured me it was a good wine - and it was! Everything that I'd want in a mid-week Bordeaux -good fruit, weight, acidity to cut the fat in the meat, not too big of a wine, and very light on the pocketbook! All great things for me.

I'm going to be stocking up on inexpensive 2005 Bordeaux. They are fun to drink, as fun as Cotes du Rhone, and offer something different on the palate. And great bang for the buck!

No comments: