Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thank you Wine Importers!


Haven't had it yet, but I'm planning to pop the 2002 Agrapart "Mineral" Blanc de Blancs to celebrate New Years Eve. Agrapart is an estate that is close to my heart since I visited the place and the winemaker on my honeymoon only 2 years ago. In particular this bottle is special as it was given to me by the importer Michael Sullivan - so generous - the very person that set up the Agrapart visit for us when we visited Champagne. Thank you, thank you!

It is wonderful to drink a wine and think of where it came from and who made it, and to know that one has been there and shook the hand of the winemaker and drank the juice from which the wine is made.

There's just nothing better.

And scheduled to eat with it are king crab legs, which I plan to steam in some wine.

I received a special bottle for Christmas this year from Rudi Wiest, the importer for whom I work, a bottle of 1971 Karthauserhof Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg Riesling Beerenauslese. Pretty awesome! Thank you Rudi! 1971 is my birthyear, and that's the significance of the gift. Fortunate for me, 1971 was a very good vintage in Germany, and there are great wines floating around of that vintage.
Karthauserhof, an estate in the Ruwer valley, is also a place I have visited and it is very romantic, secluded, and cold, as I recall (even in September). I can't imagine how freezing cold it will be in February...


I won't be popping this wine tonight, but save it for maybe January or later...

I feel very fortunately to have received these gifts of wine. And fortunate to know these importers. For without them, we would not be able to drink these wines here, and we would not be able to relive these fond memories of these great vineyards and estates in Europe.

Thank you cool importers! :)

Happy New Year everyone, and may 2009 bring you health, happiness, prosperity, and the best wines in all the world.

3 comments:

Michael Hughes said...

King Crab, huh?? I know that was tasty! I know what you mean about tasting wine from a property you've been to thats made by a person you've met & spoke with. Those wines just seem to speak to me in a different way than others.

Here is to many more great wines & experiences in '09!!

Samantha Dugan said...

So how was your Agrapart Nancy? We took down a couple, (Carl drank the 2000 Mineral pretty much by himself proclaiming it better than the 2002...so funny, he frickin loves that wine) bottles at our celebration as well. Those wines are so solid!

Agrapart was the first estate in France that I went to so it will always hold a very special place in my heart too....thankfully for both of us the wines are AWESOME!!!

1971 was my birth year too...gotta let me know how we are holding up....have a great New Years day girlie.
Hugs

Nancy Deprez said...

Happy new years to you two as well!!!!! Cheers!!