Friday, July 16, 2010

Heat Wave

Not much time to post today, but I wanted to make a quick comment about the recent arrival of summer to Southern California. This year has been one of the mildest ever, and the weather has been absolutely wonderful and kind in an unusual way in that June gloom lasted well into July. Cool, overcast weather is perfect for a gal like me who burns easily (even though I'm not a red-head or anything), who runs (running in heat is no fun), and drives wine around in a car (hot car = not nice for wine).

It has been such a cool summer that last week I even complained about being too cold when walking on the west side of LA, of needing a sweater in the middle of the day, and when I did a wine tasting outside on the evening of July 7, which, as I look on the calendar right now, I can see was only last Wednesday, I was absolutely freezing (between 7pm and 9pm).

But in the middle of the week this week, the marine layer lifted, and disappeared. Hot, hot weather made itself known, along with it the bright sunshine for which southern California is known. Many cheered the arrival of summer.

Though I'm not a fan of 90 degree temps, I have nothing to complain about. I have gotten off easy this year, so my running has benefitted. And, the hot weather arriving just this week is just in time for my fun dinner party tomorrow night, whose theme is southern Provencal type grilled whole leg of lamb with aioli, grilled vegetables, beans, Rose wine, and some red Rhone wines.

I'll be attempting my first leg of lamb, and it will be on a grill outside, and after posting this, I'll be going off to marinate it, smothering it with garlic, herbs, pepper, salt, olive oil, and maybe a touch of Dijon mustard.

Can't say I'm not excited........

No comments: